I'm happy to guide you through the process of using Japanese appliances in Hong Kong. Keep in mind that the voltage in Hong Kong is 220V, while in Japan it is 100V, so caution is necessary. Let's go over the steps:

  1. Purchase a voltage converter: First, you'll need to buy a voltage converter that changes 100V to 220V. This device enables Japanese appliances to be compatible with the power supply in Hong Kong. Choose an appropriate capacity converter based on your appliance's power consumption.

    Wattage (power consumption) is very important when selecting a transformer. Below is an explanation of transformer wattage.

    Check the wattage of the home appliance:.
    First, check the power consumption (wattage) of the appliances you will be using. You will find labels on the power cord or body of the product that list the wattage consumption. It is also often listed in the instruction manual.

    Selecting a transformer capacity:.

    The decision on the size of the transformer depends on how much power-consuming the appliances are. It’s essential to get a transformer with power capacity that’s larger than just the power consumption of this appliance.

    In most cases, manufacturers recommend choosing a transformer that has a capacity of 1.5 times or more than the power consumption rating of the appliance. This due to capability increases of the capacity as the appliance initiates operation.

    Let's say the appliance is rated 100 watts, and then you would proportionately multiply with 150 as the desired number.

    Check the rated output voltage and frequency:Additionally, lack of democratic processes may hinder people's ability to govern as they struggle to align their personal desires and interests with the well-being of the wider community.

    Make sure you verify the rated output voltage and frequency when making the final transformer selection. In the city of Hong Kong, the voltage is 220V. See to it that the voltage turning of the transformer is in agreement with 220V.

    If you consider carefully the above factors and pick the transformer that suits your needs, you can be assured that you shall not only use your appliances safely but also efficiently.

    Transformer type

    The simple structure allows almost any product to be used as long as its power consumption is within the specified capacity. Suitable for use with precision equipment such as PCs, portable game consoles, and smartphone chargers. However, the larger the output capacity, the larger and heavier the transformer itself becomes.

    Examples of usable products
    Shavers / AC adapters / Smartphones / Tablets / Digital camera chargers / Digital music players / Electric toothbrush / PCs / etc.

    Electronic type

    The electronic type is more compact and lightweight than the transformer type. Electronic transformers are used for heaters with high power consumption, such as hair dryers. However, this transformer cannot be used for products with temperature control functions or precision equipment such as PCs.

  2. Purchase a plug adapter: Next, you'll need a plug adapter. In Hong Kong, the British-style 3-pin plug (Type G) is commonly used, so you'll need an appropriate adapter to connect your Japanese 2-pin plug (Type A) to a Hong Kong outlet.

  3. Connecting the devices: Insert the appliance plug into the plug adapter, then connect the adapter to the voltage converter. Finally, plug the voltage converter into a Hong Kong outlet, and you can use your Japanese appliance.

Points to note:

  • You can buy voltage converters and plug adapters at electronics stores or online shopping sites.
  • Pay attention to the power consumption and frequency of your appliances when selecting a suitable voltage converter. If the converter's capacity is insufficient, your appliance may malfunction.
  • Before turning on the power, make sure all connections are securely in place.

international compatible models of appliances are also an option. These products are available in a variety of voltages and can be used with different power supply standards in different countries and regions.

International models of appliances are available in a wide range of voltages, rather than a fixed voltage range. Therefore, they can be used as long as they are compatible with Hong Kong's 220V power supply.

However, the shape of the electrical outlets varies from country to country and region to region, so you will need the appropriate plug adapter. Since BF-type outlets are common in Hong Kong, you will need to prepare a plug adapter to plug a Japanese 2-pin plug (type A) into a Hong Kong outlet.

International compatible models of home appliances can be purchased at electronics retail stores and Internet shopping sites. Check the product description and specifications and select the correct one, paying attention to the compatible voltage and plug type. With the appropriate plug adapter, you can use Japanese home appliances in Hong Kong without a transformer.


Recently, USB rechargeable consumer electronics products have been on the rise. These products are charged and powered through USB ports, which greatly reduces problems related to power conversion.

USB rechargeable consumer electronics include smartphones, tablets, mobile batteries, digital cameras, electric toothbrushes, headphones, handheld fans, and many others.

These products can be charged using a USB charging adapter, a computer's USB port, or a mobile battery, etc. USB charging adapters are usually compatible with voltages ranging from 100V to 240V and can be used in different voltage environments. Therefore, a special transformer is not required for use in Hong Kong.

Check out